Focus On Fun Travel

Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Safety of Cancun vs the Rest of Mexico

     Barbi and I really enjoyed our time visiting 4 of the properties of Karisma Hotels, consisting of Azul Sensatori, Azul Fives, El Dorado Royale, El Dorado Maroma, and Generations Maroma.  Azul and Generations are fantastic family friendly properties, with plenty to do for adults and children alike.  The El Dorado properties are for adults.  Having between 30 and and 476 suites, each property has it's own uniqueness and ambiance.  All have access to fantastic beaches, one of which was listed in the top 10 by the Travel Channel (El Dorado Maroma).  The "Gourmet Inclusive" concept is also unique and award winning.  As Karisma Hotels States: "
Your Gourmet vacation starts the moment you enter one of our Mexico all inclusive honeymoon or vacation resorts in Cancun. You are greeted with a smile, a refreshing towel and a welcome cocktail. The décor and overall atmosphere of the resorts provide for a relaxed yet upscale environment with lush landscaping, beaches lined with beach beds and multiple pools with swim-up bars. You will be pampered with Gourmet services and amenities such as beach butlers, concierge, turn-down, 24-hour room service, premium beverages and Gourmet cuisine. The latter, which is the foundation for Gourmet Inclusive, has been lauded “Superb,” “Best in class,” “Decadent” and “Outstanding.” To us it simply means creating delicious meals in pleasant environments by our star chefs. Here, you will be indulged with Gourmet hospitality every moment of your stay."

     During our stay, I had many opportunities to converse with locals about the area around Cancun and on down the coast past Playa Del Carmen.  My main objective was to get a feel for the safety of this area.  Mexico has been plaqued in recent years with volence issues, most of which are limited to the boarder town regions, such as Chihuahua, Nogales, Tijuana, and Juarez.  Some spillage has occured in popular places like Mazatlan and Acapulco.  But here in Cancun, where this location relies almost 100% on tourism, it is safe.  Just like any city, there are pockets where tourists and even some locals avoid, like spots in "OLD" Cancun, which have issues from time to time.  However, these are places that tourists are not taken through.  I can think of similar places in Glendale, AZ; West Valley City, UT; Baltimore, MD (Where I am at at this moment); Miami, FL, and New York City.  Unfortunately, violence in all of it's terrible forms, exists because this world and the people in it are not perfect.  Interestingly enough, when I booked my travel through a corporate travel organization, from Cancun to Baltimore, I received a warning letter telling me that I was traveling to a very dangerous city, with many murders, and that the American Consolate was located in Washington, D.C. if I needed help.  I thought it was hilarious.

     Cancun, according to a USAToday article in 2011, produces 50% of all of Mexico's income.  It is a very vital and strategic place to keep safe.  Funjet Vacations states in the same article, that "91% of people who go to Mexico express satisfaction and intend to go back."  I can raise my hand as part of that 91%.  I felt very safe wherever I went.  In fact, we visited Ensenada Mexico this past July, and I observed that all of the streets I travelled on were definitley closer to this century.  The streets were clean and well signed.  Whenever we entered a hotel zone, and then again when entering a specific property, our shuttle or bus was stopped and questions were asked as to who was entering, how many were entering, and why.  Victor, one of our guides from Lomas Travel, noted that people cannot come and go as they please from these properties.  Security personnel are always at the gates.  When Barbi and I checked out, we were given a check out pass, which was showed to the bell boy.

     Mexico is a big country, and certainly, there are issues.  But when it comes to Cancun, The Riviera Maya, and Playa del Carmen, I have no concerns there at all.  I would, and do encourage people to travel to this hot spot of beauty.  The people who work in these resorts are happy to have you there.  They greet you all the time with an "hola" or "Buenos Dias"...Or...Would you like a Margarita, Senor? No? Pina Colada?  Mojito?  I have to say, I got hooked on the Virgin Mojito's served up by the staff in the Mojito Bar.  Seriously here, my friends.  If I could return tomorrow and spend a couple weeks, I would!  There are two bucket list items that still need to be fulfilled.  Swimming with Whale Sharks and Visiting Tulum.  And then there is Chichen itza.  Oh, and shopping in Playa del Carmen.  Oh and Scuba Diving.  And.......

We Are Here For You

No comments:

Post a Comment