Focus On Fun Travel

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Passion in the Water

     As I traveled back home tonight after completing my FIRST open water dive, at the fabulous Homestead Crater, in Midway, UT, I passed many places were people were busy doing things.  A miniature golf course, where people were having fun.  A regular golf course, with carts busying around like ants, a Karate dojo, where adults and kids alike were learning self defense and self control, Boaters skiing, people fishing from a bridge. Joggers. Cyclists.  Throughout my life, I have tried many things to see what I might be good at and really like.  I tried baseball.  Did not make the first cut.  Guitar playing. I never learned more than strumming chords.  Bicycling.  At times, the physical stress has been too much.  I admit I have never liked to run.  When I was young, I accomplished a 5:58 mile, which is outstanding.  But I really pushed myself in order to make the marching band.  Yep, an 8 min mile was all that was required to make it...well, and to be able to play an instrument.

     I have been going through PADI open water certification, and I realize I missed my boat 30 years ago.  I really love being in the water.  And I mean IN it.  This intrigues me so much that I find myself wanting more and more every day.  I really love this.  Last night I blogged about Submarine cruising, and what an amazing vacation that would be.  Well, for me it would be.  I realize there are those of you out there who may feel a little claustrophobic.  But I also know that we all have the ability to overcome our fears to experience new heights in our well being. 


     Barbi is really afraid of heights (Speaking of heights).  She won't let anyone in the family be within 20 feet of the edge of the Grand Canyon.  Those of you who have been there know how challenging it would be not be closer than that anywhere.  Yet, in 2007, on a Western Caribbean cruise on the Grand Princess, we stopped in Belize, where we tubed on a river through tunnels in the mountains, then went Zip Lining through the jungle canopy.  We were 25 -  50 feet in the air moving from one tree to another through 8 stations.  At first Barbi didn't think she was going to be able to do it.  Once the first zip was through, and she felt safe, it was onward and downward!  She has even said she would do it again.  See!  It can be done, with a little will power, and someone you love there to support you.

     My high school is planning their 30 year class reunion.  Holy cow!  30 Years!  I have suggested to the committee that we take a cruise as a class, instead of getting together in our home town of Mesa, AZ for a Friday evening, then a partial Saturday during a weekend.  I expressed how much of a better deal everyone would get if we cruised.  Such as, for the price, everything is included...food, entertainment, lodging, fun activities, and even getting together in a meeting room.  There are pools, dancing, karaoke, games...you get the picture.  For a little more than an evening and a morning, this is a much better deal.  For me, it means getting back to the ocean.  You know...the Water.  And wherever we go, I know I can get in the water and explore this part of the world.  Fish, creatures, whales, plants.  Scuba or snorkel, it does not matter to me.  I just want to be in  the water.

     My point in all this is, if your vacations have become Blah.  Go get scuba certified.  It cheap.  It is easy.  It is safe.  And when you go to Cancun for a week, go out to Isla Mujeras and swim with Whale Sharks, the largest fish in the ocean.  They have no teeth and have never eaten a human.  If you take a western Caribbean cruise and you stop in Grand Cayman, the birth place of scuba; go out and swim with the stingrays, instead of just standing there.  Belize has the 2nd largest coral reef system in the world.  Stuart Cove's in Nassau Bahamas will take you scuba diving with Caribbean Reef Sharks.  Heaven only knows what can be explored in the Mediterranean.  Ship wrecks?!

     If you are in Utah County, I highly recommend Scuba Teds Dive Center, 50 N Main St, Springville, UT.  Mike Brothersen is my instructor.

We Are Here For You

No comments:

Post a Comment